Sunday, August 27, 2006

Baby Bib

This is my first project from The Baby Book of Knitting and Crochet. I drastically modified the pattern to get the gauge to work. Thank god for pictures of what things are supposed to look like, right? My finished version appears to be close to what the author intended. My impression of this book, based on this one pattern, is that it's great inspiration but only suited to a more advanced crocheter or knitter who knows how to identify and correct problems. For example, this tells you to repeat pattern stitch "across until 72 star sts are made. Cut off remaining chain." Huh? The whole thing with unravel.

All that said, I love how this turned out. Definitely a keeper. It could be expanded into an entire dress - you could leave the back open and just attached a crocheted skirt.

My adjustments to the basic pattern: I used South Maid 100% mercerized cotton in peach, size 10, and a 3.5 mm hook. I essentially halved the stitches per row (to 36 star sts in the first row), but kept the number of rows the same.

0 comments: